Leadership for those in Institutional Leadership Roles, including Heads of Department
In their introductions, participants will note their role in the organisation. McNay’s (1995) quadrant model of university types – collegium, corporation, bureaucracy and enterprise – will be explored. Participants will share their own narratives of experience about becoming an Institutional Leader and/or Head of Department. A model of leadership based on building and supporting a community of practice in a department where individuals see themselves as part of a team will be presented. Notions of trust and reward will be explored in detail. Participants will map their own institution onto this model. This will support a SWOT analysis of their institution that will be used to identify and address the five most pressing challenges facing the institution. Further participants will have the opportunity to examine their own leadership styles by developing their own leadership maps and challenges will be explored and possible solutions generated.
- Consider the nature of academic work and how this differs from other businesses/ industries
- Examine a model of organisational ethos and categorise your institution and also supporting a community of practice in a department.
- Develop a list of the five most pressing challenges facing your institution and list them in a hierarchical order of importance or Reflect on the induction/ support available for fulfilling this role and map your own leadership qualities
- Develop strategies to address each of these challenges.
- Note the key challenges and determine possible solutions which build on each leader (institutional and/or HOD) set of qualities.
PROFESSOR CARMEL MCNAUGHT
Professor Carmel is Emeritus Professor of Learning Enhancement at Centre for Learning Enhancement And Research (CLEAR), Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK). She has over 40 years of teaching and research experience in higher education across Australia, Asia, Southern Africa and UK. Her area of research covers chemistry, science education, equity in education, second-language learning, eLearning, higher-education curriculum and policy matters. Carmel is now a higher-education consultant, working globally, in institutional policy, professional development, research support and academic writing.
*All costs are exclusive of 6% GST.
*Please email us at email@example.com if you have any issues registering.