- This programme has passed.
Leadership in Research
In their introductions, participants will note whether they are primarily a research supervisor or leader of a research team. A distinction between directive and participatory research leadership will be examined, as will paradigms of research. The question about whether different styles of leadership are useful/necessary for different types of research will be explored as a debate: “Is research supervision in the humanities/ social sciences necessarily different from research supervision in the natural sciences/ engineering/medicine?” A number of ethical dilemmas that research leaders face will be discussed. Finally, the challenging area of supporting academic writing will be investigated, with practical guides offered to the group.The workshop will explore the research on the utility (the challenges as well as the benefits) of developing different types of rubrics (holistic versus analytical) in the marking of essays.
- Gain an understanding of the multiple roles of a research supervisor/ leader of a research team
- Consider models of leadership for understanding research supervision
- Consider paradigms of research in terms of supporting clear research designs
- Find their own style as a supervisor/ research leader
- Consider how best to avoid ethical dilemmas
- Develop new insights into supporting academic writing
PROFESSOR CARMEL MCNAUGHT
Professor Carmel is Emeritus Professor of Learning Enhancement at Centre for Learning Enhancement And Research (CLEAR), Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK). She has over 40 years of teaching and research experience in higher education across Australia, Asia, Southern Africa and UK. Her area of research covers chemistry, science education, equity in education, second-language learning, eLearning, higher-education curriculum and policy matters. Carmel is now a higher-education consultant, working globally, in institutional policy, professional development, research support and academic writing.
*All costs are exclusive of 6% GST.
*Please email us at email@example.com if you have any issues registering.