- This event has passed.
Personal Leadership for Teachers: Knowing yourself and your students
Being an effective teacher or academic demands a high level of skill in several areas. We will visit or revisit the list of multiple roles that all teachers need to fulfil. Theories of leadership will be introduced in terms of designating and clarifying roles and responsibilities to all those involved in any social situation. Theories about human personality will be examined and used to assist in the critique of well-known principles of good teaching. In an educational context this includes students, teachers, discipline leaders and institutional management. A model of teaching involving collaborative leadership will be presented. Key challenges in teaching will be examined from the perspective of this model and possible solutions generated. Participants will have the opportunity to examine their own strengths and challenges in teaching and make decisions about areas for change.
- Describe in detail the multiple roles involved in teaching
- Be more aware of the diversity between teachers in terms of personality attributes
- List key challenges in being a teacher
- Examine a model of teaching involving collaborative leadership
- Critique principles of good teaching in light of the diversity between teachers
- Examine solutions from a leadership perspective for each of these key challenges
- Make some decisions about options for change in their own teaching.
PROFESSOR CARMEL MCNAUGHT
Professor Carmel is Emeritus Professor of Learning Enhancement at Centre for Learning Enhancement And Research (CLEAR), Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK). She has over 40 years of teaching and research experience in higher education across Australia, Asia, Southern Africa and UK. Her area of research covers chemistry, science education, equity in education, second-language learning, eLearning, higher-education curriculum and policy matters. Carmel is now a higher-education consultant, working globally, in institutional policy, professional development, research support and academic writing.
*All costs are exclusive of 6% GST.
*Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any issues registering.