Participants will share their own narratives of experience about becoming a Head of Department. A model of leadership based on building and supporting a community of practice in a department where individuals see themselves as part of a team will be presented. Notions of trust and reward will be explored in detail. Participants will have the opportunity to examine their own leadership styles by developing their own leadership maps. HoD challenges will be explored and possible solutions generated.
- Appreciate the processes used for selecting Heads of Departments (HoDs)
- Examine a model of leadership based on building and supporting a community of practice in a department
- Reflect on the induction/support available for fulfilling this role
- Map their own leadership qualities
- Note the key challenges and determine possible solutions which build on each HoD’s set of qualities
PROFESSOR CARMEL MCNAUGHT
Professor Carmel is Emeritus Professor of Learning Enhancement at Centre for Learning Enhancement And Research (CLEAR), Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK). She has over 40 years of teaching and research experience in higher education across Australia, Asia, Southern Africa and UK. Her area of research covers chemistry, science education, equity in education, second-language learning, eLearning, higher-education curriculum and policy matters. Carmel is now a higher-education consultant, working globally, in institutional policy, professional development, research support and academic writing.
*All costs are exclusive of 6% GST.
*Please email us at email@example.com if you have any issues registering.